Kenyon started his career amassing as much trial experience as possible, and in two-plus decades he has tried everything from death penalty cases to multimillion dollar business disputes to homeowner association mailbox grievances. These and other experiences in state and federal courts have prepared him to handle all of his clients’ needs, even those out of the ordinary.
The managing partner of Dinsmore’s Louisville office, Kenyon represents corporations and individuals as plaintiffs and defendants. He knows that whether his client is a person or a corporation, his work will affects others’ lives, and whenever possible he looks for ways to avoid protracted litigation. But he’s always prepared to go to trial if a case can’t be settled.
He has successfully represented business plaintiffs in jury trials, including three resulting in recoveries by his clients in excess of $1 million. He has also defended business clients in numerous jury trials in civil and criminal cases, as well as having substantial experience in bench trials, arbitrations and injunction proceedings.
His litigation experience includes class action litigation, breach of fiduciary duty litigation, commercial disputes, wrongful discharge litigation, and trade secrets and restrictive covenant issues on behalf of employees and employers. He also represents employers and employees in white collar criminal matters, both in the investigation stage and in litigation. Additionally, Kenyon represents clients who are the subject of investigations initiated by state attorneys general, state and federal administrative regulators, and law enforcement.
His clients come from an array of industries, such as for-profit education, software, construction, rent-to-own, coal, gaming, medical, and media. He has also represented the Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers before the Kentucky Supreme Court.
He has represented individuals and entities in gaming industries in civil, criminal, and administrative litigation. Relevant examples include representing an online gaming trade organization related to government efforts to forfeit domain names; representing executives in the horse industry regarding employment contracts; defending entities and individuals involved in charitable gaming before state administrative agencies and in criminal litigation; representing entities in the thoroughbred industry in federal grand jury investigations; and litigating on behalf of a manufacturer of historical racing technology related to the definition of pari-mutuel wagering.
Kenyon has a passion for pro bono work and providing legal assistance to the indigent. He has successfully tried three capital murder cases, accepted appointments to represent indigent criminal defendants in state and federal courts for two decades, and was lead counsel in a case that gathered national attention involving the handcuffing of two young children by a school resource officer in an elementary school. The case prompted procedural changes throughout the county’s elementary schools and resulted in a monetary settlement to the clients’ satisfaction.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., 1995)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1992)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Board of Directors, member
- Children’s Law Center, Inc., Board of Directors
- Judicial Nominating Commission for the 30th Judicial Circuit
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- 40 Under 40 Award from Business First
- Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- For Business Litigation (2021)
- "Benchmark Litigation Star" in Kentucky for the (2016)
- Pro Bono Award from the Louisville Bar Association (2000)
- Best Lawyers©
- Litigation - Labor and Employment (2022-2024)
- "Top Lawyers” list by Louisville Magazine (2013 and 2016)
- 2019 KACDL Distinguished Service award, recipient