Joe is a member of our IP department where his practice centers on trademark, copyright and licensing matters. He supervises trademark searching, filing, maintenance and protection programs for a number of multinational companies. He has worked on numerous acquisitions and divestitures involving intellectual property. Client counseling is a major focus of his practice.
Joe received a Bachelor of Arts degree with a double major in Philosophy and Political Science from the University of Dayton in 1972. He received a Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from The Ohio State University College of Law in 1975.
Upon admission to the Ohio Bar, Joe practiced in the private and corporate sectors for several years. Since 1978, he has practiced exclusively in the field of intellectual property, specializing in trademark and copyright matters. He was a founding partner of Killworth, Gottman, Hagan & Schaeff in 1985, which grew to be Dayton, Ohio’s largest intellectual property firm before its merger with Cincinnati-based Dinsmore & Shohl in 2003.
Joe currently serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Dayton School of Law. He taught as an adjunct at The Ohio State University College of Law during 2003. He has lectured on intellectual property matters at the Ohio State University College of Law, Wright State University, the University of Dayton and Sinclair Community College. Joe has served on the faculties of a number of continuing legal education programs.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1975)
- University of Dayton (B.A., 1972)
- Southern District of Ohio
- Northern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, past House of Delegates Member and Legal Assistants Committee Chairman
- Dayton Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Copyright, Patent and Trademark Law
- Selected for the Ohio Super Lawyers® List
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Dayton for Litigation - Intellectual Property by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2015, 2017
- Adjunct Professor of Law at The Ohio State University College of Law, 2003
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Dayton School of Law, 1983-1997, 2010 and 2015 to present
- Intellectual property counsel for Dayton, Ohio's INVENTING FLIGHT Centennial Celebration, 1999 - 2004