Mark Carter is the Labor Practice Group Chair of the firm. He has a national practice focused on advising employers on all aspects of relationships with labor unions.
Mark has advised and represented employers throughout the United States in corporate campaigns, collective bargaining, arbitrations and federal litigation involving labor unions as well as serving employers in employment litigation. He has litigated in Alaska, New Jersey, Idaho, Michigan, Alabama and other states and has advised clients in Washington state, Puerto Rico, California, New York, Florida the District of Columbia and the majority of the states in the nation.
Mark has testified before the United States Senate and The House of Representatives. He is a former Management Chair of the Antitrust RICO and Labor Law Committee of the American Bar Association and has spoken at over 10 annual meetings of that organization. He has also spoken for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, the Labor Policy Association and other national trade groups.
Mark currently serves as the Chairman of the Federal Service Impasses Panel upon the appointment of President Trump in July, 2017. He and his colleagues resolve impasses in collective bargaining between the United States Government and unions representing federal employees. From 2002 through 2009, he served as a Member of the Federal Service Impasses Panel upon three successive appointments by President George W. Bush.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 1986)
- University of Michigan (B.A., with high distinction, 1982)
- Burnett Scholar
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of West Virginia
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- District of Columbia
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Chairman, Federal Service Impasses Panel (2017 – present); Former Member, Federal Service Impasses Panel (2002 - 2009)
- Fellow and Former Credentials Committee Chair of the 4th Circuit of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (2006 - Present)
- American Bar Association; Section of Labor and Employment Law, Past Management Chair of the Annual Meeting Subcommittee; Past Management Chair of the Antitrust, RICO and Labor Law Committee; Past Management Committee Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section of the Young Lawyers' Division
- Chair of the Human Resources Committee of the WV Chamber of Commerce (2014 – present)
- Board of Advisors, Civil RICO Report
- Republican National Lawyers Association, West Virginia Representative
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Today's General Counsel magazine
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” in Charleston for Employment Law-Management by The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012
- Selected as a Top Ten lawyer in the state by West Virginia Super Lawyers® magazine 2007-2015
- Listed as a Tier 1 in Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Labor and Employment Law
- Rated 5.0. AV in Martindale-Hubble