Thomas is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Department where he focuses his practice on Intellectual Property portfolio management. Tom has over thirty years experience in counseling clients on Intellectual Property matters and extensive experience in litigation. His clients include several fortune 50 companies, as well as technology startups. He counsels clients on developing effective strategies for protecting technology and brand identity, as well as enforcing IP rights and defending against the claims of others.
He earned his Juris Doctor cum laude at the University of Detroit Law School in 1980. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, State Court of Florida and Michigan, and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Thomas lectures periodically on several aspects of patent and copyright law and is a contributor to the ABA Litigation Section Intellectual Property Litigation Newsletter and to the Arts, Communications, Entertainment and Sports Law Newsletter.
With two years of engineering at the University of Michigan, he completed studies for his degree in Economics at Wayne State University. After graduation, he completed additional technical course work.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Wayne State University (B.A., 1974)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Middle District of Florida
- State Bar of Michigan, Council Member, Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Law Section; Member, Computer Law, International Law, Intellectual Property Law and Master Lawyers Sections
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section and Litigation Sections
- Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Patent Law
- America’s Best Lawyers 22nd Edition 2015
- 2013 Hensel Award - Arts, Communication Entertainment, and Sports Law Section of State Bar of Michigan