Kathiejane Oehler is a Partner in Dinsmore’s Louisville, Kentucky office. Ms. Oehler’s practice focuses on railroad litigation, transportation law, environmental law, civil rights, labor and employment law, products liability, contract litigation, insurance defense, commercial litigation, and appellate work.
Ms. Oehler has extensive experience in railroad defense, including F.E.L.A. litigation, grade crossing litigation, actions brought pursuant to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Kentucky’s Civil Rights Act, whistleblower cases, condemnation proceedings, regulatory matters, personal injury and wrongful death actions and trespasser litigation. Ms. Oehler’s environmental experience includes the prosecution and defense of private causes of action under CERCLA, as well as the defense of agency actions under CERCLA against chemical companies, railroads, manufacturers and other entities.
Ms. Oehler’s work in Railroad Law was recognized in 2014 in the publication “Best Lawyers In America.”
During her 33 years as a civil litigator, Ms. Oehler has tried numerous cases to verdict in both federal and state courts throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. She has successfully argued and/or defended judgments and verdicts before the United States Supreme Court, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Kentucky Court of Appeals, and the Kentucky Supreme Court. In October of 2014, Ms. Oehler obtained an opinion from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming a summary judgment granted to her client by U.S. District Court Judge John G. Heyburn in a case alleging wrongful discharge and race discrimination.
Ms. Oehler has attained an AV rating with Martindale Hubbell with a preeminent rating in Ethics.
Ms. Oehler is the President of the Louisville Figure Skating Club, a volunteer instructor with the Louisville FSC Basic Skills Program, a mentor for University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences Students, and serves as an Ambassador for the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences. Ms. Oehler was honored by the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences with the Volunteer of the Year Award in 2007.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., 1981)
- University of Louisville (B.S., magna cum laude, 1975)
- Certificate in Medical Technology
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Western District of Kentucky
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Southern District of Indiana
- Northern District of Indiana
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell with preeminent rating in Ethics
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Railroad Litigation
- Selected for Kentucky Super Lawyers
- Ms. Oehler’s law practice was featured in the March of 2011 Edition of Louisville Magazine
- Honored as Outstanding Volunteer by the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences