Kathiejane's (K.J.) practice focuses on railroad litigation, transportation law, environmental law, civil rights, labor and employment law, product liability, contract litigation, insurance defense, commercial litigation, and appellate work.
She has extensive experience in railroad defense, including F.E.L.A. litigation, grade crossing litigation, actions brought pursuant to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Kentucky’s Civil Rights Act, whistleblower cases, condemnation proceedings, regulatory matters, personal injury and wrongful death actions and trespasser litigation. K.J.'s environmental experience includes the prosecution and defense of private causes of action under CERCLA, as well as the defense of agency actions under CERCLA against chemical companies, railroads, manufacturers and other entities.
Her work in railroad law was recognized in 2014 in the publication Best Lawyers.
During her 33 years as a civil litigator, K.J. has tried numerous cases to verdict in both federal and state courts throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. She has successfully argued and/or defended judgments and verdicts before the United States Supreme Court, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Kentucky Court of Appeals, and the Kentucky Supreme Court. In October of 2014, she obtained an opinion from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming a summary judgment granted to her client by U.S. District Court Judge John G. Heyburn in a case alleging wrongful discharge and race discrimination.
K.J. has attained an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell with a preeminent rating in Ethics.
She is the president of the Louisville Figure Skating Club, volunteer instructor with the Louisville FSC Basic Skills Program, mentor for University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences Students, and serves as an ambassador for the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences. She was honored by the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences with the Volunteer of the Year Award in 2007.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., 1981)
- University of Louisville (B.S., magna cum laude, 1975)
- Certificate in Medical Technology
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell in Ethics
- Best Lawyers® for Railroad Law
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- Featured in Louisville Magazine (March of 2011)
- Outstanding Volunteer by the University of Louisville College of Arts and Sciences