Ashley has significant experience representing employers in a variety of labor and employment matters, including employment litigation, sexual harassment investigations, unfair labor practice and union representation cases. She also practices media and First Amendment Law, advising newspapers and media outlets on prepublication review, FOIA and open records, advertising, and defamation issues.
Ashley leverages a thorough knowledge of employment law to help steer clients through a myriad of challenges, having represented clients in the banking, healthcare, retail, and energy and natural resources industries. Understanding that labor and employment cases often take unique twists and turns, she works closely with business owners, human resource managers and in-house counsel to learn each client’s operations and objectives before tailoring an approach to fit the circumstance. She has teamed with her clients to offer counseling on an array of employment law matters, including employee discipline, termination, and employee policies and procedures. She also handles Title VII and West Virginia Human Rights issues for clients, including all manners of discrimination claims and litigation. She has successfully represented clients in mediations and arbitrations, as well as before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. She litigated several Section 10(j) injunctive relief cases and recently obtained a defense verdict in an employment contract dispute.
Ashley also advises newspapers and media outlets on prepublication review, advertising, and defamation issues. Having practiced in both Kentucky and West Virginia, she leverages a thorough knowledge of First Amendment matters with an industry-level understanding of the challenges facing the media.
Ashley is AV-Rated and listed in the Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyer's, and is very active in the community, sitting on various nonprofit boards. She was recently selected by the Benchmark Litigation's "Under 40 Hot List." She graduated from Leadership WV. She is also an active speaker and writer. She also is a recipient of the 2012 Generation Next 40 Under 40 award from The State Journal.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of Kentucky (B.A., summa cum laude, 1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- West Virginia
- Western District of Kentucky
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Northern District of West Virginia
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, State Lead and City Lead
- Children's Therapy Clinic, Board of Directors, President
- Foundation for Thomas Health Systems, Board of Directors
- Tamarack Foundation for the Arts, Board of Directors, Vice President
- The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, Disbursements Committee
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2011
- Diversity Leadership Academy of West Virginia
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, Labor and Employment Committee
- YWCA, past Board of Directors
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Human Resources
- Member of American Inns of Court
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ignite Louisville, Class of 2006
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Labor & Employment Litigation since 2011
- Selected for the West Virginia Super Lawyers® List
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation's "Under 40 Hot List"
- Recipient of the 2012 Generation Next 40 Under 40 award by The State Journal
- Recipient of Dinsmore & Shohl Alice Neeley Memorial Award
- Named a "Future Star" in Benchmark Litigation