Jan Hensel is a Partner in the Labor and Employment Department. Jan devotes her practice exclusively to the representation of employers in the employment law arena. She consults with employers of all sizes to help them comply with the myriad of State and Federal employment laws that affect the workplace, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Title VII and the Ohio Civil Rights Act. Jan frequently conducts onsite trainings and seminars to ensure that clients avoid employment pitfalls. She works closely with her clients to help them identify issues before they become problems, and solve problems after they arise.
Jan also has over 20 years of experience litigating employment law cases in state and federal courts and representing employers before state and federal enforcement agencies. She has tried cases and presented appeals in state and federal courts throughout Ohio, and has twice represented clients before the Ohio Supreme Court.
Her courtroom experience includes representing employers in defending claims arising out of the FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, wrongful discharge claims, breach of contract claims and in non-competition litigation.
Jan is a frequent author and speaker on employment law related topics.
Prior to joining the firm, Jan served as Chair of the Employment & Workers' Compensation Practice Group at Buckingham, Doolittle and Burroughs.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1988)
- The Ohio State University (B.A., 1983)
- Southern District of Ohio
- Northern District of Ohio
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ohio State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee
- Columbus Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee
- The Morton Foundation/Morty’s Kids, Board Member, Chair-Pro Am Committee
- The First Tee of Central Ohio, Board Member
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association, Member
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment
- Named as one of 10 Lawyers of the Year in 1999 in Ohio Lawyers Weekly
- Selected for the Ohio Super Lawyers® List
- Named as one of Columbus’ Top 25 Women Attorneys - Super Lawyers 2013
- Included in 2013 edition of Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Named to the “Top Lawyers” list by Columbus CEO Magazine
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Employment Law - Management, Litigation - Labor & Employment
- Certified Instructor, Ohio Judicial College