April Besl is a partner in the Intellectual Property Department at Dinsmore and practices within the Trademarks, Licensing & Enforcement, and Entertainment Law practice groups. She focuses her practice on counseling clients with respect to non-patent intellectual property including trademarks, copyrights, social media, Internet law, advertising and trade secrets. She services a large and diverse portfolio of trademarks and copyrights both domestic and worldwide for a variety of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to individual entrepreneurs.
April has extensive experience assisting clients with emerging issues related to the impact of social media, the web, and technology on their business and marketing strategies. She helps clients to protect and enforce their trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property from misuse via social networking sites, search engine optimization strategies, and keywords, as well as against misuse on mobile devices and other emerging technologies. In addressing these evolving issues and technologies, April provides a direct, strategic, and thoughtful approach tailored to the culture and goals of each individual client.
April frequently appears in Federal Court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to defend her clients’ non-patent intellectual property rights. She has successfully resolved cases in favor of her clients including in multi-million dollar intellectual property trademark disputes, Digital Millennium Copyright Act disputes, copyright ownership disputes, and licensing disputes.
April currently serves as the President of CincyIP, an organization made up of intellectual property professionals from around the region based in Cincinnati. She is also a member of the U.S. Subcommittee of the Non-Traditional Marks Committee with the International Trademark Association. In addition, April serves as the Chair of CincyBrand, a highly successful conference for legal practitioners, marketers, and business owners on the subject of branding and licensing that first debuted in Cincinnati in April 2014.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Walter H. Rice Moot Court Competition, Finalist;
- Saul H. Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Competitor
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Copyright, Trademark, and Cyberspace Law
- Miami University (B.S., 2004)
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Southern District of Ohio
- C-Change, Class 11 Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Intellectual Property Litigation Committee Member
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Trademarks Committee Member, Domain Names and Social Media Committee
- CincyIP, President
- bizwomen, Cabinet Member
- International Trademark Association, member of the Law Firm Committee, former member of U.S. Subcommittee of the Non-Traditional Marks Committee
- CincyBrand, Chair of Planning Committee (2014-Present)
- Ursuline Academy Mock Trial, Coach
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for the Ohio Rising Stars® List, 2016