April is a partner in the Intellectual Property Department and practices within the Trademark Procurement/Management & Copyright, Licensing & Enforcement, and Entertainment Law practice groups. She counsels clients on non-patent intellectual property matters including trademarks, copyrights, social media, Internet law, advertising and trade secrets. She services a large and diverse portfolio of trademarks and copyrights, both domestic and worldwide, for a variety of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to individual entrepreneurs.
She has extensive experience assisting clients with emerging issues related to the impact of social media, the web and technology on their business and marketing strategies. April helps clients protect and enforce their trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property from misuse via social networking sites, search engine optimization strategies, and keywords, as well as against misuse on mobile devices and other emerging technologies. In addressing these evolving issues and technologies, she provides a direct, strategic and thoughtful approach tailored to the culture and goals of each individual client.
She frequently appears in federal court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to defend clients’ non-patent intellectual property rights. She has successfully resolved cases in favor of her clients including in multi-million dollar intellectual property trademark disputes, Digital Millennium Copyright Act disputes, copyright ownership disputes, and licensing disputes.
April currently serves as the past president of CincyIP, an organization of intellectual property professionals from around the region. She is also a member of the Law Firm Committee with the International Trademark Association and the Trademarks and Domain Name and Social Media Committees of the Intellectual Property Owners association. In addition, she serves as the chair of CincyBrand, a highly successful conference for legal practitioners, marketers and business owners on the subject of branding and licensing that first debuted in Cincinnati in April 2014.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Walter H. Rice Moot Court Competition, Finalist;
- Saul H. Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, Competitor
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Copyright, Trademark, and Cyberspace Law
- Miami University (B.S., 2004)
- Management, Organizational Leadership
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Southern District of Ohio
- Eastern District of Michigan
- C-Change, Class 11 Member and Graduate
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Intellectual Property Litigation Committee Member
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Trademarks Committee Member, Domain Names and Social Media Committee
- CincyIP, Past President (2017); President (2012-2017); Vice President (2011-2012)
- bizwomen, Cabinet Member
- International Trademark Association, member of the Law Firm Committee, former member of U.S. Subcommittee of the Non-Traditional Marks Committee
- CincyBrand, Chair of Planning Committee (2014-Present)
- Pro Bono Partnership, Volunteer (2016-Present)
- Ursuline Academy Mock Trial, Coach
- 100 Wise Women, Wise Woman (2017)
- Boardway Bound, Class 1 Member and Graduate (2010-2011)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for the Ohio Rising Stars® List, Intellectual Property, 2016, 2017