Glen S. Bagby has enjoyed a traditional wills, trusts and estates practice throughout his career. His practice includes all types of wills, trusts, probate, trust administration, powers of attorney, health care proxies and living wills, as well as more sophisticated revocable "living" trusts, credit-shelter and disclaimer trusts, qualified terminable interest trusts (QTIPs), irrevocable trusts of various types, dynasty trusts, personal residence trusts (QPRTs), grantor retained interest trusts (GRITs), grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), grantor retained unitrusts (GRUTs), charitable trusts of various types, asset protection, prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, buy-sell agreements, sophisticated gifting planning, and family limited partnerships. Since 1995, he has been selected annually for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America under the heading "Trusts and Estates".
In addition, Mr. Bagby has litigated cases involving trusts, wills, will contests, will construction, declaratory judgments, prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements and related issues in Lexington and Louisville, and as far east as Ashland, Catlettsburg and Pikeville, and as far west as Hopkinsville and Trigg County, Kentucky. Since 2011, Mr. Bagby has been included annually in Best Lawyers in both the "Trusts and Estates" area of practice of law, which includes estate planning, and also the "Litigation - Trusts and Estates" area of practice of law.
For years, Mr. Bagby has also focused his practice upon how estate planning techniques may impact upon couples who later divorce. He has accepted select divorce cases primarily involving estate planning steps taken during the marriage and the impact of trusts created and funded during the marriage, in a subsequent divorce. He has been annually selected by Best Lawyers for its publication under the topic, "Family Law" for over two decades.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1969)
- Transylvania University (B.A., 1966)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Western District of Kentucky
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Regent 2010-2016, Nominating Committee 2016-2017
- Magee Christian Education Foundation, Board of Directors 1989-Present (President 2002-2016)
- Transylvania University, Board of Trustees
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 1995
- Selected for the Super Lawyers List
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Lexington Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Lexington Litigation - Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in the Kentucky Super Lawyers®, 2009-Present
- Moderator and Co-Chair of the annual Midwest / Midsouth Estate Planning Institute, at the University of Kentucky College of Law, every year since 1987
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Kentucky College of Law; Mr. Bagby teaches one course in the Spring semester of each year, "Advanced Estate Planning", to up to sixteen graduating seniors, 2008-Present
- Distinguished Service Award, Transylvania University, May 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation, Transylvania University, 2006
- Wrote opinion of Supreme Court of Kentucky, by appointment as Special Justice, in Haney vs. Transportation Cabinet, 958 S.W.2d 310 (Ky. 1997)
- Kentucky Conference of the United Methodist Church, past Chancellor
- Kentucky Bar Association, House of Delegates, past member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Probate and Trust Law Committee, past chair
- Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, B.O.C.A. Board of Appeals, past chair
- St. Ives Journal Club (26 attorney membership), past Chancellor