Karen Kreider Gaunt is a partner in the Intellectual Property Department, leading the firm’s branding and advertising practice. Karen counsels clients on both transactional and litigation matters involving all aspects of domestic and international trademark and branding matters, copyright, advertising, Internet, licensing, promotions and marketing matters. Karen also assists her clients with all aspects of anti-counterfeiting matters involving investigation and pursuit of counterfeiters, and removal of counterfeit goods from the marketplace.
Karen provides her clients with holistic advice on brand development, strategic positioning, protection and enforcement, for both iconic and developing brand identities. Karen’s core philosophy in representing her clients is that there is no “one size fits all” approach, and that every brand needs and deserves a thoughtful and tailored strategy to brand development that aids and enhances the brand’s overall growth.
She has represented such national brand owners as The Procter & Gamble Company, an industry leader in home audio systems, a large regional bank and other well-known brand owners in the luxury eye wear, music, health care and toy industries.
Karen also negotiates licensing, independent contractor, outsourcing, entertainment, sponsorship and talent agreements, and also litigates in these areas. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in numerous trademark and copyright cases, in both state and federal court. Karen frequently gives seminars around the country on various intellectual property issues.
Karen has received numerous awards and honors, and most recently, Karen was recognized in World Trademark Review’s WTR 1,000 where she was recognized for her strategic counseling in transactional and enforcement matters.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Denison University (B.A., cum laude, 1993)
- History & English
- Southern District of Ohio
- Southern District of Indiana
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Ohio State Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association (Cincy IP), Board Member
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, Class IX (2005), Fellow
- University Club, Board of Governors, Speaker Series Committee Co-Chair
- Cincinnati Therapeutic Riding & Horsemanship, Board of Trustees
- Birthright, Inc., Advisory Board, Board of Directors (2004-2006)
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati for Litigation - Intellectual Property by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2016
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati for Copyright Law by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013 & 2015
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark Law
- Listed in Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Businesss, Intellectual Property
- Selected for the Ohio Super Lawyers® List
- Selected as a Cincy Leading Lawyer by Cincy Magazine
- Named to World Trademark Review’s 2014 edition of WTR 1000
- Honored by the National Law Journal in its “Counsel to Counsel” category for 2014