Edward represents clients in heavily-regulated industries who depend on his knowledge of their industries' complex rules and regulations. His practice includes public utility law, transportation law, beverage alcohol law, health care law, environmental law, and oil & natural gas law, each of which are unique fields with their own laws and standards. Edward represents electric power generators, utilities, landfills, waste hauling, transfer stations, and other clients before civil courts and administrative agencies, including the West Virginia Public Service Commission, and defends clients after trucking accidents. He also advises clients on interstate commerce, licensing, permitting, and other issues.
His practice includes beverage alcohol law for the spirits & wine industries and legalized gaming law. Edward has also been a professional registered lobbyist for more than two decades, including work as the lead lobbyist in West Virginia for the spirits & wine industries, the solid waste landfilling, and hauling industry.
Additionally, he represents health care companies in certificate of need and other licensing matters, as well as providing government relations services on their behalf.
The governor of West Virginia recently re-appointed him a West Virginia state fire commissioner. Those responsibilities include overseeing the West Virginia fire marshal’s criminal, civil, and administrative jurisdiction and services.
Edward serves as a New York City Police Department reserve police officer. Assigned to Manhattan South’s 1st Precinct, he is a patrol NYPD Auxiliary Police Officer.
Edward serves as a member of the board of trustees of the Harry Birrell Scholarship Trust. Headquartered in London, the trust provides South African children access to top rated schools, colleges, and universities and provides financial support in fostering the next generation of South African leadership.
He also serves as a board member and as legal counsel to the United States Tae Kwon Do Association. He is a fifth degree master black belt and a certified instructor. He continues to train and compete under the tutelage of former United States Olympic Coach, Grandmaster Sok Ho Kang.
- Oxford University (M.A. in Law, 1990)
- Oxford University (B.A. in Law, with honours, 1989)
- New York City Police Department (NYPD) Auxiliary Police Officer Basic Training Academy
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Appeals of Vermont
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- West Virginia State Fire Commissioner
- New York City Police Department Auxiliary Police Officer
- New York City Bar Association, member
- Utilities, Energy, & Telecommunications Coalition (UTEC) of West Virginia, executive committee member
- National Association of State Lobbyists, board member
- West Virginia Vision Shared, board member
- Advantage Valley, board member
- Member, Distribution Committee of Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation
- West Virginia Business Roundtable, firm representative
- United States Taekwondo Association, legal counsel
- Thomas Hospital Foundation, Board of Directors, past member
- Buckskin Council of Boy Scouts of America, Board of Directors, past member
- U.S. Taekwondo Association, board member, legal counsel
- Harry Birrell Scholarship Trust, board member
- Best Lawyers®
- Transportation Law and Government Relations Practice (2021-2022)