Randy is a traditional, management-side labor lawyer, with a strong focus on manufacturing and industrial clients. As a result, he spends the vast majority of his time at the bargaining table, in labor arbitration or before the National Labor Relations Board. His experience also includes counseling employers on equal employment opportunity, discrimination, wrongful discharge, non-competition and trade secrets, wage and hour, unemployment compensation, and employee benefits. Randy’s skillset, along with his detailed knowledge of his clients’ short- and long-term goals, allows him to provide big-picture advice to employers in all areas related to labor and employment. This enables clients to control costs, avoid expensive disputes whenever possible, and efficiently resolve issues when they arise.
His experience includes serving as lead negotiator/spokesperson for a Fortune 500 corporation in labor negotiations for multiple industrial and steel facilities. This project involved working with international representatives of USW, UAW, and IAM, and resulted in the restructuring of unionized workforces, pay, and fringe benefits. Randy was a member of the 2019 GE National Labor Negotiations Team. He successfully litigated and resolved a multi-million Section 301 class action on behalf of a large manufacturer. He has represented public and private employers in labor and arbitration cases, involving issues ranging from contract interpretation, subcontracting, rate/incentives, discharge, and discipline. He has also represented public and private employers in unfair labor practice and representational proceedings, including trials and appeals, as lead negotiator in collective bargaining, and he has obtained injunctive relief for clients due to unlawful and violent strike activity. Randy has also obtained pre-trial dismissals of lawsuits concerning age, race, sex, disability, and veterans discrimination, as well as wrongful discharge claims.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Earlham College (A.B., 1984)
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- The Ohio State Bar Association
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, National Council member and past-president of Law Alumni Association
- The Ohio State University Alumni Association, lifetime member
- Society of Human Resource Management, member
- Best Lawyers, 2005-2021
- Labor Law – Management; Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Best Lawyers: Cincinnati “Lawyer of the Year,” Management-Labor, 2019
- Super Lawyers, 2009-2019
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Corporate Counsel, Top Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2008