Hans is chair of the firm's Insurance Industry Practice Group. He focuses his insurance law practice on extra-contractual (bad faith) matters, property claims, liability insurance coverage matters, motor vehicle liability claims, directors and officers liability claims and insurance agent errors and omissions claims. He also has significant experience in the areas of intellectual property and international litigation.
Insurance companies seek his counsel on drafting policy language for primary and excess/umbrella policies and endorsements and request his assistance with regulatory and insolvency proceedings.
Hans serves as National Litigation Counsel for Winnebago Industries, Newmar Corporation, Grand Design RV, Chris Craft Corporation and Barletta Boats, with responsibility for casualty and warranty claims coast-to-coast.
His transactional practice includes serving as general counsel to suppliers and intermediaries in the automotive and oil and gas industries.
For the past 30 years, he has been an adjunct professor at Wayne State University Law School where he has been teaching Insurance Law and Conflicts of Law.
Hans earned the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (C.P.C.U.) in 1986, and the Chartered Financial Consultant (Ch.F.C.) and Fellow, Life Insurance Management Institute (F.L.M.I.) designations the following year.
From 2000 to 2012, Hans served H.M. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands as her Honorary Consul for Detroit and Eastern Michigan. His duties included: facilitation of trade and other business interests; promotion of scientific, social and cultural exchange activities; issuance of travel documents; protection of Dutch citizens (such as prisoners and stranded tourists); shipping and aviation matters; and any other affairs involving Dutch interests within his jurisdiction.
- Wayne State University (LL.M., 1983)
- University of Utrecht (M.L., 1982)
- University of Utrecht (B.L., 1978)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- State Bar of Michigan
- International Bar Association
- Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters
- American Society of Chartered Life Underwriters and Chartered Financial Consultants
- Life Insurance Management Institute, fellow
- Urios, Utrecht International Law Association
- Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- David J. Dykhouse American Law Scholarship (1982)