John focuses his practice on patent infringement litigation and appeals, as well as complex commercial and other intellectual property litigation. He has handled patent infringement cases involving a variety of services and products, including commercial forms and related software, software-related business method patents in the printing and financial services industries, metal beverage cans and closures, surface coal mining blasting methods, liquid beverage concentrates and related packaging, automated barge refurbishing methods, service station petroleum equipment, and retail security products.
While his practice currently focuses largely on patent infringement matters, John has handled a wide variety of other types of complex litigation matters, ranging from securities, commodities, RICO and fraud claims arising out of complicated derivatives transactions to shareholder derivative litigation, environmental litigation, business and government contracts cases, and ERISA class action cases. Clients appreciate his ability to prioritize their needs and objectives and to approach matters flexibly and creatively - rather than in a one-size-fits-all manner. John’s methods help complex matters be resolved favorably, expeditiously and cost-effectively.
He has been an active member of the influential Sedona Conference Working Group on Electronic Document Retention and Production (WG-1), participating in several Sedona drafting teams, including the Sedona Case for Cooperation (urging more rational, expeditious, and less expensive discovery processes).
John is the recipient of a number of community leadership awards from the United Way and from the Cincinnati Bar Association. For the last 15 years, he has been a slow but avid distance running and has completed 22 full marathons.
- Stanford Law School (J.D.)
- Northwestern University (B.A.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United Way of Greater Cincinnati
- Public Policy Committee co-chair
- Board past vice-chair
- Downtown Cincinnati, Inc.
- Past Board and Executive Committee member
- Past chair of Downtown Clean and Safe Committee
- Leadership Cincinnati, Class XXIV
- Northwestern University Alumni Admission Council
- Best Lawyers®
- Commercial, Intellectual Property, and Patent Litigation (2021-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers® for Intellectual Property Litigation (2008 - present)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Community Service Award from the Cincinnati Bar Association
- Geier Family Leadership Award for Community Service from the United Way of Greater Cincinnati