Joe focuses his practice on commercial litigation matters. He handles a variety of matters at the trial court and appellate levels involving contract and lease disputes, coal supply agreements, force majeure provisions, non-competition employment cases, creditors' rights, FDCPA/FCRA compliance and FDCPA/ FCRA/TCPA defense litigation, residential and commercial construction defect disputes and product liability cases.
He has extensive experience in insurance matters, issues coverage opinions for several national insurance companies and has defended complex insurance coverage and bad faith disputes under auto, property, CGL, D&O, E&O, and occupational accident insurance policies.
Joe has appeared before the Sixth and Eleventh circuit courts of appeal and in federal and state courts in North Carolina, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio, and South Carolina. He has also appeared before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and arbitrated complex commercial cases in numerous states in the southeast, and he has handled nearly 100 consumer arbitrations before the AAA on behalf of several consumer finance clients. He has handled multi-million dollar serial litigation and class action lawsuits involving hundreds of parties and witnesses and also provides advice and litigation services to a variety of businesses on general commercial matters, including bankruptcy, the UCC, lender liability claims, and close corporation shareholder disputes.
Additionally, Joe serves as the firm's Kentucky ethics partner.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1991)
- University of Florida Law Review, articles editor
- Florida State University (B.A., 1988)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
- ACA International
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- "Top Lawyers” by Louisville Magazine (2016)