Peter spent 27 years on the bench and served as the chief judge of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California. His experience includes mediating and helping resolve contested, large-fee application disputes and other significant cases.
He also served in the U.S. Attorney's office for the Southern District of California, where he supervised the criminal and civil divisions. Additionally, he was a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice, where he was hired through the department’s honors program.
Peter works with the Federal Judicial Center, an education and research group for the federal courts, and the American Bar Association.
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1971)
- Wake Forest University (B.A., 1964)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- National Association of Federal Equity Receivers
- American Bar Association
- Judicial Advisory Committee
- Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility (2009 - 2015), chair (2012 - 2015)
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges
- San Diego Bankruptcy Forum, past director
- Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court (No. 9), Executive Board
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego, founding board member
- Federal Bar Association, San Diego Chapter
- Excellence in Education Award, Endowment for Education of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (2015)
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of San Diego (2003)