Joan has experience preparing patent applications, responding to office actions, conducting patentability searches and preparing patentability opinions. Additionally, she conducts infringement analysis and prepares U.S. national phase of foreign patent applications. She also prepares reexamination requests.
Drawing on a strong engineering and technological background, Joan’s patent prosecution practice encompasses mechanical, electrical, materials, optics and information technology arts.
Prior to her law career, she earned two M.S. degrees – one in Space Physics from the Chinese Academy of Sciences and one in Material Sciences and Engineering from the University of Michigan and worked in an R&D department of a major auto manufacturer’s tech center, which gives her insight into the technical world of patents.
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Michigan (M.S.)
- Material Sciences and Engineering
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (M.S.)
- Space Physics
- Northwest University (B.S., magna cum laude)
- Theoretical Physics
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office