Tim is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors. With more than 30 years of experience in environmental law, he concentrates his practice defending clients in civil penalty and alleged environmental crime cases, as well as handling a broad range of environmental matters in virtually every environmental media. This experience includes pre-purchase environmental due diligence in real estate, corporate transactions and negotiating favorable environmental permit terms. The most rewarding part of his practice involves day-to-day counseling and advice of an ongoing nature to clients, helping prevent future potential enforcement problems.
As an environmental defense attorney, Tim has successfully handled many civil penalty cases where initial proposed penalties ranged from $100,000 to more than $1.8 million and has a sustained track record of saving his clients thousands of dollars in transaction costs and civil penalties with resolution of nearly 100 percent of these enforcement cases before trial using negotiation and alternative dispute resolution methods. In addition to saving legal fees, penalties and transaction costs, Tim’s clients often preserve their ongoing working relationships with environmental regulators after resolving a case. Tim has resolved numerous white collar crime investigations using a similar strategy.
He started his environmental practice as in-house counsel to a multi-billion dollar conglomerate that produced rubber and plastic products for automotive and non-automotive applications, as well as wall coverings, luggage, and other industrial and consumer products. While there he defended the company in environmental enforcement proceedings around the country and helped develop the company's first overall environmental compliance and auditing programs for its 23 domestic and international manufacturing facilities.
- Capital University School of Law (J.D., 1981)
- Capital University (B.A., cum laude, 1978)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Committee
- Environmental Quality Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Environmental Committee
- Dayton Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- Junior Achievement of Dayton and Miami Valley, Inc., Board of Directors, past member
- Girl Scouts of Buckeye Trails Council, Board of Trustees, past member
- Capital University Alumni, Varsity “C”
- Dayton Rotary Club (2010 - present)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® for Environmental Law
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Dayton for Environmental Law (2018, 2020)
- Best of the Bar in The Dayton Business Journal
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Natural Resources & Environment