Michael is an experienced commercial litigator with a national practice focused on fidelity and surety bond claims/litigation, construction, insurance, complex litigation, commercial law, transactional matters and general business matters. A significant focus of his practice includes assisting clients in all aspects of public and private construction projects, as well as counseling clients on computer fraud, cybercrime, and social engineering losses
He received his mediator’s certification from Northwestern University and has extensive experience with mediations and arbitrations. Michael is a strong advocate for his clients and advises through a holistic approach on how best to reach their intended resolution. He emphasizes using a creative and practical approach when negotiating deals and resolving disputes, including working collaboratively with all parties when possible, participating in the alternative dispute resolution process, and knowing when to actively proceed through litigation in the most efficient and cost effective manner for his clients.
Michael’s writings, which span a variety of topics, have been published in numerous publications. His thought-leadership has addressed fidelity bonds, financial institution and commercial crime policies, contract surety, miscellaneous surety bonds, construction, and the parties’ obligations regarding retention, retrieval, and production of electronically stored information (ESI). In addition, he has presented client Webinars and programs for the American Bar Association, Fidelity Law Association, Defense Research Institute, National Bond Claims Association, Chicago Surety Claims Association, Eastern Bond Claims Association, and for claims adjusters seeking CE certification. Michael is a current vice-chair for the American Bar Association’s Fidelity and Surety Law Committee and is a past president of the Chicago Surety Claims Association.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Indiana University (B.S., 1980)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Northwestern University School of Professional Studies, Mediator's Certificate
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, vice chair, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys
- National Bond Claims Association
- Boys Hope Girls Hope of Illinois, mentor to student scholars
- Rated an AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell