A lawyer with substantial achievements in both professional and community affairs, Richard concentrates in law involving litigation - medical malpractice, personal injury and commercial – and natural resources – coal, oil and gas, and he is actively involved in coal, oil and gas transactions. He was the lead trial lawyer for the only defendant remaining in the trial of the mass flood litigation at the conclusion of the eight week first phase trial in 2006. The mass flood litigation was believed to have been the largest mass litigation in West Virginia history.
Richard has also served as an arbitrator in various coal, oil and gas matters.
Among his bar and professional activities, he has served as president of the West Virginia Bar Association and is currently serving as a trustee of the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation. Richard has written and lectured on coal, oil, gas and other topics. He has been named to Best Lawyers and honored by Chambers USA for his work in natural resource law and has been recognized by West Virginia Super Lawyers for his work in the area of energy and natural resources. He was named a fellow of the West Virginia Bar Foundation for his outstanding service to the legal profession and a fellow of the American Bar Foundation for dedication to welfare of the community and the traditions of the legal profession. He currently serves as a Member of the Board of Directors of the West Virginia Bar Foundation and its Grants Committee.
A native of Huntington, Richard is one of the firm’s active West Virginia community leaders. He served for many years on the Executive Committee of the Huntington Area Development Counsel, Inc., was its first chairman, served two terms as chairman of the Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce and has served on numerous other community boards.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
- Marshall University (B.A., cum laude)
- Business Administration
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Best Lawyers®
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Charleston for Natural Resources Law (2022)
- Natural Resources Law, Oil & Gas Law (2021-2024)
- Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commerical & Natural Resources
- West Virginia Super Lawyers®