Tom is an accomplished litigator who has handled trials, mediations, negotiations, and client counseling in a variety of complex matters. He has defended companies in mass tort, toxic tort, and environmental cases involving multi-plaintiff litigation and a variety of alleged toxins (including benzene, lead, gasoline, diacetyl, and zinc) that were alleged to have been found in manufactured products or environmental emissions. Tom has significant experience handling general liability claims involving premises liability, products liability, and land-use disputes, as well as contractual and commercial litigation. He also leverages his technical background to litigate intellectual property disputes involving claims of patent infringement as well as trade secret misappropriation and trade name and trademark infringement.
Tom has extensive experience practicing in both state and federal courts throughout much of the Midwest, including experience in complex and multi-district litigation. He is licensed to practice law in Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana.
For nearly a decade prior to his law career, he worked in a series of information technology leadership roles at one of the world’s largest and most diverse technology and manufacturing corporations. He worked with business partners to design, develop, and implement a wide variety of complex technology and business process reengineering solutions. As an attorney, he has leveraged this background to better understand the operations and legal needs of his business clients and to bring a practical problem-solving approach to legal disputes.
In the course of his litigation work, Tom has developed a thorough understanding of the Medicare Secondary Payer statute and has advised clients on all aspects of litigating and settling cases that may give rise to Medicare reimbursement or reporting obligations. He is a member of the firm’s Information Systems, e-Discovery, and Medicare Secondary Payer compliance committees and has led the firm’s litigation training program for new associates for several years.
He earned his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Order of the Coif
- Law Review, notes and comments editor
- University of Dayton (B.S., cum laude)
- Management Information Systems
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Greenhills Fire Department, Firefighter 1-A, EMT-B (2003 - 2010)
- The Children's Home of Cincinnati
- Young Professionals Board (2008 - 2018), chairman (2008 - 2014)
- Central Montessori Academy
- Board of Trustees Advisory Council
- Governance Committee (2009 - present)
- Ohio Rising Stars®