Foreign Plaintiff v. U.S. Corporation
I lead a team which successfully assisted a foreign plaintiff in obtaining financial information from U.S. entities for use in a foreign proceeding. To do so, our team obtained a federal court order under 28 U.S.C. § 1782 requiring certain U.S. businesses and banks to provide discovery for use in the foreign proceeding.
Advise Parking Company on New Key Card Vendor at College Campus
We worked with a company that manages vehicle parking. Our client was seeking to replace their current electronic key cards and access systems and was working with a new software vendor. The system provides information on each parker, such as their name and status at the institution and also tracks financial information related to parking fines or tickets.
Advise Pre-paid Card Provider on CAN SPAM and TCPA Compliance
We worked with a prepaid card provider to advise on their CAN SPAM and TCPA compliance issues regarding the gathering and distribution of customer data. We helped to vet our client’s policies and ensure they remained strong in the face of evolving legislation and threats.
Advised Client on Policies to Project Customer Data Used in Software Application
Our client developed a new software application that helped customers take inventory of their purchases and also notifications for recalls, maintenance, upgrades and other services related to their purchase. The application required gathering a tremendous amount of data, including purchase history, geographic location and other potentially sensitive information. We worked with our client to develop policies that dictated how and when this information could be shared with other businesses, as well as ensuring the data remained protected and was in compliance with the applicable federal and state laws.
Build Data Sharing Platform for Client to Enable Information Sharing
We built a data sharing platform for a retirement community to enable their providers throughout the country to share information. We advised the client on compliance with myriad of regulations that govern health care data and ensured their platform met their needs while also remaining protected from potential breaches.
Represent Client in Creation of Loyalty Program
We represented a transportation company in their negotiation with a vendor to implement a new loyalty program for their customers. The program required the gathering of customer data, including sensitive information about location and travel. We worked on behalf of our client to fully vet the vendor and ensure the collection and use of this information would be in compliance with the appropriate regulations.
Advise Client on Building a Compliant Database
We advised a sports organization that promotes their game for all ages across the country, on the development of a software application that required gathering information on players and coaches. Since the application would involve sharing of data, some of which could be deemed personal or private, we worked with the client to ensure they remained in compliance with all the applicable federal and state laws governing the collection, distribution and sharing of such data.
Advise Client on Encryption Laws
Our client, a transport company, was seeking to strengthen their internal security practices relating to data management. We advised them on the applicable encryption laws, including how to prioritize encryption levels. We also worked with the client to develop and implement policies to govern future encryption procedures.
Email Spoofing Using Company Officials’ Addresses
Our client, a food manufacturer, noticed a pattern of email attempts, purportedly from company officials, requesting money wire transfers. We worked with them to determine the email spoofs were coming from an external source. We then worked with their technical staff to implement measures to ensure the email spoofs were eliminated and also helped to put in place policies that would guide potential information breaches that could occur because of the spoofing.
Represent Credit Union in Data Breach, Advise on Prevention
We represented a credit union that suffered a data breach when a rogue employee made confidential information public. We assisted the client with the data breach notification process and worked with their technical staff to perform a risk analysis on the systems and data to determine how the breach may have happened. We determined the full extent of the breach, and advised the client on implementing internal controls to prevent the situation from occurring again.
Represent Financial Institution After Potential Data Breach, Advise on Policies
We represented a financial institution after a data breach occurred. Someone broke into our client’s facility and stole computer equipment and files that contained potentially confidential information. However, the files were appropriately redacted and the equipment was encrypted, both of which prevented any confidential information from being discovered or released. Following the incident, we worked with the client to ensure their policies remained strong and also evaluated their response to the breach to ensure they remain proactive in the case of another incident.
Advice regarding Establishment and Operation of Natural Gas utility (Gas/Water/Sewage)
Advise clients on compliance issues relating to privacy
Privacy Act case involving first impression
Resolved dispute with FCC on behalf of cable company
Advise clients on marketing compliance issues
We routinely counsel a variety of clients, including multimedia, technology and wireless companies on proposed marketing initiatives for print, TV, radio and internet media. Our role includes reviewing proposed copy, drafting necessary disclaimers and restrictions, and providing detailed assistance complying with CAN-SPAM, FTC endorsement rules, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and other relevant laws and regulations. Our work also includes drafting contest/sweepstakes rules and advising on compliance with state and federal contest laws and rules, as well as advising on contest/sweepstakes rules specific to social media platforms.
IP Licensing/Agreement Experience
Development Agreements (70)
- Independent Contractor Agreements (15)
- Talent Agreements (15)
- Presenter Agreements and Content Provider Agreements (10)
- Joint Ownership Agreements (10)
- Production Agreements (10)
- Employee Invention Policy and Agreements (5)
- Joint Development Agreements (5)
Litigation-related/Dispute Agreements (55)
- Pre-Litigation Settlement Agreements (15)
- Trademark Trial & Appeal Board Settlements (15)
- Co-Existence Agreements (10)
- Litigation Settlement Agreements – Patent Disputes (5)
- Litigation Settlement Agreements – Trademark Disputes (5)
- Joint Defense Agreements (5)
License Agreements (155)
- Software License Agreements (35)
- Patent License Agreements (35)
- Trademark License Agreements (20)
- End User License Agreements (15)
- Subscription Agreements (10)
- Software as a Service (SaaS Agreements (10)
- Channel Partner Agreements (10)
- Pilot Agreements (10)
- Copyright License Agreements (5)
- OEM License Agreements (5)
IT-related Agreements (170)
- Healthcare-related IT Agreements (30)
- Software IT Agreements (25)
- Hardware IT Agreements (25)
- Master Client/Service Agreements (25)
- Support and Maintenance IT Agreements (15)
- Reseller Agreements (15)
Research Agreements (55)
- Advanced Research Agreements (25)
- Materials Transfer (20)
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (10)
Misc. Agreements (55)
- Non-Disclosure Agreements (25)
- Participant Agreements (10)
- Exclusive Sales Representation Agreements (5)
- Termination Agreements (5)
- Domain Purchase Agreements (5)
- Domain Escrow Agreements (5)
Access Reform (Telecommunications)
Advise hospital on data access arrangement that allows safe patient information sharing
Assist client in creating ride share program to help patients get to doctor appointments
Dispute Over Jurisdictionality of Mobile to Landline Calls
Pre-Bid Due Diligence
• Regulatory approvals for change in ownership or control of utilities;
• Regulatory approvals for financing applications;
• Regulatory approvals for obtaining certificate of public convenience and necessity;
• Renewable energy contract review;
• PSC and OSHA complaints;
• Utility supply and vendor contracts;
• Utility tariffs;
• Regulatory review of rate-affecting issues;
• Fuel Adjustment Clauses;
• Pollution Control Bond change in control;
• Cost recovery of capital expenditures for pollution control equipment and renewable energy projects;
• Environmental surcharges;
• Projecting future impact of greenhouse gas regulations;
• Title V air permits;
• Environmental contamination and compliance issues associated with ongoing operations;
• Disposal of coal combustion by-products;
• General environmental regulatory compliance;
• State and local taxation;
• Real estate and operating leases;
• Franchises, rights-of-way, permitting, planning and zoning, and eminent domain;
• Retail operations review;
• Wholesale electric supply agreements;
• Gas pipeline regulatory issues; and
• Legislative, policy, and strategic planning advice.